Friday, March 31, 2006

The first time...

I got off the phone with Taposhda wondering "What did I get myself into?" Taposhda spoke to me about the sheer dedication everyone had to the "Amra Kojon," and a nearly physical concept of family that the group steadfastly adhered to. The passion flowed from his voice so effusively that it took me some time to adjust my own senses to truly grasp what he was saying. "Jhilmil come, I promise you... once you come, you'll never want to leave. I can just feel that you right for this group. You have no idea what this experience will be but I promise that you will leave here, or never leave here, with a brand new family."

Armed with a healthy dose of skepticism, I went to rehearsal, ready to seize this unknown but excitingly new experience. The family began to take form in the car. Himi picked me up from the T and immediately she drew me in and acquainted me with "Amra Kojon." From then on, the entire weekend was awash with music, dancing, drinking, and delirious laughter until almost 6:00 in the morning. I cannot explain exactly what happened that weekend, but it made me see what is lacking in most of our worlds: passion for people, passion for love, and passion for the arts. It is rare today to find those who are passionate enough... and I realized what I was thirsting for and was afraid I would never find.

Here at Amra Kojon, everyone seems to give up everything they have for musical friends. They are honest with each other and loving toward each other. This family had barely known me for a couple hours when already they were toasting to my presence and loving me wholeheartedly for the little that they had discovered about me. In a world full of suspicion, superficiality and cynicism, how rare is it to find such a thing? I feel as though I've hit the jackpot this week.

-Jhilam Biswas
on behalf of Amra Kojon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home